Back at it again with cultural codes! We are continuing our series with cross cultural expert Andy Molinsky. Andy’s series is highlighting the cultural codes of 10 countries. The country of choice today is France.
France has long been a global centre of art, science, and philosophy. It hosts Europe's fourth-largest number of cultural UNESCO World Heritage Sites and receives around 83 million foreign tourists annually, the most of any country in the world. France is a developed country with the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and ninth-largest by purchasing power parity. In terms of aggregate household wealth, it ranks fourth in the world. France performs well in international rankings of education, health care, life expectancy, and human development. France remains a great power in the world, being a founding member of the United Nations, where it serves as one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, and a founding and leading member state of the European Union (EU).
Andy uses the following six-dimensional framework to capture the differences across cultures.
- Directness: How straightforwardly do people typically communicate in this culture?
- Enthusiasm: How much positive emotion and energy do they typically show?
- Formality: How much deference and respect do people typically demonstrate?
- Assertiveness: How strongly do people typically express voice their opinions?
- Self-Promotion: How acceptable is it for people to speak about their accomplishments?
- Personal Disclosure: How much do people typically reveal about themselves?
Be sure to grab Andy’s free E-book for mastering 10 cultural codes from around the world: http://www.andymolinsky.com/download-cheat-sheet-to-10-cultural-codes-from-around-the-world/
Without further ado, check it out here or below: